MEC (mobile edge computing) is considered to be a term that is referred to different IT services rendered to content providers or application developers at the wireless telecom network edge. It provides real-time access, low latency and high bandwidth to radio network. These are the MEC services which are used by applications.
- Its very purpose is to unite both the IT and telecom world. It creates successful convergence of IT and telecom networking.
- IT offers cloud computing and IT abilities in mobile RAN (radio access network). Hence, it has derived this name, mobile edge computing.
- Services and applications are well developed as well as integrated above three layers (network layer) of network elements (mobile NEs).
MEC applications including services are integrated within LTE system architecture. It is rather implemented between Mobile Core and eNodeB using MEC server. Cloud services are seamlessly interfaced with mobile core. Therefore lower layers (MAC, PHY) of eNodeB and UE network elements is not likely to witness any significant changes.
When MEC is concerned, there are several use cases. It includes IoT (internet of things), active device tracking of location, video analytics, data caching, augmented reality content delivery, local efficient content distribution and much more.
What are the benefits derived from MEC?
Given below are few of the advantages or benefits offered by MEC:
- By providing data caching and deploying services at mobile network edge helps alleviate congestion problems faced by mobile core networks. This helps enhance efficiency while serving local services.
- MEC is developed further to benefit all necessary entities. It includes software vendors, operators, system integrators, equipment providers, technology providers, application developers, IT platform providers and others.
- It is possible to run MEC part in isolation from remaining network and still have greater access to some of the local resources. M2M scenarios also make good use of the same, thereby requiring security or safety compliant resilient systems.
- With MEC system being quite closer to that of information storage, analytics and big data can find it quite useful.
- With services running close to end equipment, lower latency is delivered in the process. This, in turn, helps derive much faster responses, thereby reducing congestion as well as offers amazing user experiences.
- Real-time network related information is now easily available to those concerned like network statistics, radio network conditions, etc. It helps develop services/applications for monetization purposes. It also assists to connect users/subscribers with different events, businesses and locations to meet desired internet requirements.
- Network edge is considered to be a part of a much wider and larger wireless network, which also includes cellular mobile networks and wifi. It helps determine wireless connected device location.
- It is possible to apply edge computing concept within indoor and outdoor scenarios without any issue.
Overall, with so many benefits to be derived from MEC, it is better to implement it in the business after thorough research and understanding its benefits. This can help the business to achieve sure success.